I bought the book, 21 Rituals to Ignite Your Intuition, by Theresa Cheung, recently. In the book, Cheung talks about how rituals can make you feel more present, and improve your intuition. I loved the idea of rituals, because habits can be so monotonous. Rituals feel more special. You may not be able to have a ritual for every health goal, but you could pick a few habits that are really important to you, and turn them into a more rewarding experience.
How is a ritual different from a habit?
A ritual is different from a habit, because with a ritual, you set an intention that helps you feel more motivated in achieving your goal. Habits have less meaning than rituals, because a habit can be something you do on autopilot, without thinking much about it. A ritual helps you reach your goals easier because you are more mindful and in the moment.
How should I choose a ritual?
Pick a goal for an area that you want to improve in your life.
Next, decide what the ritual will be. You also need to decide what time of the day you will perform this ritual, first thing in the morning, after work, at bedtime, or whatever time works best for you. Set an intention to do the ritual every day. Get any needed supplies together, like if you are planning to light a candle while you read spiritual texts and pray, get your candle and books together. If you are spending more time with a loved one, set up a date and time to meet up. Plan to remove all other distractions.
Some examples of rituals
- Spirituality- Diffuse frankincense essential oil or light a candle while you pray and read devotional texts.
- Relationships- Plan a weekly date with your spouse to focus just on them.
- Health- Play music while you meal prep and be mindful of how the food you’re preparing will nurture you.
- Finances- Plan a monthly review of your finances. Grab a glass of wine and all of your financial records. Find ways to save for a specific goal.
- Career- Set a goal and spend time every week tracking metrics to see how you are moving closer to your goal. Think about who you can go to for mentorship, or what professional development can propel you forward.
These are just a few examples I came up with off of the top of my head. Obviously, the options are endless. Choose the rituals that work best for your life.
Do you like the idea of rituals too? Let me know in the comments how you will incorporate rituals into your life.