This is week 4 of my Giving Toxins The Boot series. I haven’t been posting them weekly because I’m spending more time researching than I thought, but I’m learning so much! I hope you are too! And I hope I’ve helped you find some new products that are safer.
This week is hair care. You may think that since the products are on your hair, they are not so important. However, they do touch your scalp and the skin around your face. In the shower, the shampoo and conditioner run down your neck and your back.
As I stated in our week 3 Boot The Toxins article, the E.U. Cosmetics Directive bans 1,325 chemicals from cosmetics, where the United States Food and Drug Administration bans only 11 chemicals. Why such a huge difference?
Here are a few chemicals to look for on labels and eliminate if possible:
- Sodium Laurel Sulphate/Sodium Laureth Sulphate- which is used in industrial cleaning agents and engine degreasers because they are corrosive.
- Isopropyl Alcohol- used in wood finish, shellac and antifreeze.
- Proplyene and Polyethelene Glycol- used to hold fragrances and are potentially carcinogenic. They inhibit skin cell growth.
- Dimethicone- used as a lubricant and conditioner, but can cause organ system toxicity.
- Parabens- used to increase shelf life of products, This chemical mimics human hormones and can affect both male and female fertility. It may also cause skin reactions, such as eczema.
Instead, look for hair products with less ingredients. Not to be a broken record, but the EWG’s Skin Deep website is a great resource. Here are a few good options I found:
1. Be Green Bath and Body Dry Shampoo – This dry shampoo is EWG verified, which means it avoids ingredients of concern and uses best manufacturing practices.
2. Miessence shampoo -These shampoos have a rating of 1 on the EWG’s site and uses organic ingredients.
3. Herbal Choice Mari Organic Hairspray – This hairspray is rated a 2 on EWG’s site and is organic with no phthalates( petroleum based plasticizers), which are in many other hairsprays. It is also easy to get on Amazon, which some of the other choices were not.
DIY Dry Shampoo
2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 Drops of essential oil of your choice (I like lavender or peppermint)
Mix and place in an airtight lid. Use a make-up brush to apply to hair. Brush through thoroughly with a comb or brush.
Enjoy, and let me know which ones you try!